Customers hunt savings at orphaned car dealers

  • Article by: SUZANNE ZIEGLER , Star Tribune
  • Updated: May 29, 2009 - 11:18 PM

Automakers may be in trouble. Dealers may be closing. But buyers appear ready to ignore all that if the deal is good enough.

  • 23
  • Comments

  • Results per page:
rhankinsMay. 29, 09 9:00 PM

It doesn't seem to me so much that car customers aren't worried as that the prices have been cut to offset those worries such that a reasonable value proposition presents itself to the consumer. If consumers weren't worried about buying cars, prices would be up.

13
5
notmetooMay. 29, 09 9:12 PM

The vultures have come out of the woodwork, big deal. Just like the ones snapping up the broken dreams of foreclosed homes.

5
35
dmcnevinMay. 29, 09 9:34 PM

The current consumers are those who didn't sink themselves when home and auto prices reached ridiculous levels that could not be sustained at current wages. If you can find a deal now, it's likely more in line with what the pricing should have been in the first place. All this backlash involving the automotive and mortgage industry was caused by insustainable inflation of prices. I mean c'mon... you shouldn't have to finance a CAR for 7 years to afford a new one. 3 bedroom ramblers that sold for $40K just 30 years ago were selling for over $200K without a general wage increase across the population to justify it. This is the end result of greed. Ride it out... it's gonna be a while.

45
1
dadoftwoboysMay. 29, 09 9:46 PM

They give it a $40,000 sticker price and drop $8,000 off, still 12,000 too high! I can't afford it. can you?

24
6
ellison2782May. 29, 09 9:51 PM

Ill never buy an american made car ever again even with a GREAT deal. my wifes 95' lumina has only 80,000 miles on it and its driping oil like a pig!!! and with a price tag to fix of $2500!! do yourself a favor buy a toyota or nissan!!!! hear me now belive me later!!!!

16
22
noinkMay. 29, 09 9:52 PM

Is the rumor true that dealerships that contributed to the Republican campaign in the last election are being forced to close by the White House at a much higher percentage than those that contributed to the Democrate campaign.

15
33
dmcnevinMay. 29, 0910:02 PM

Sounds like a Rush Limbaugh line. Right when I thought I'd heard it all.....

25
15
granma4peaceMay. 29, 0910:29 PM

For one thing the list of dealerships to be closed is decided by Chrysler, not the White House. For another thing, overall, 88% of dealerships gave to Repub candidates in 08. Only 12% gave to Dems. Of the dealerships being closed, 92% gave their money to Repubs. That leaves 8% that gave to Dems. The ratio is about the same for both. But when did the right ever let facts get in their way?

16
15
greatxMay. 29, 0910:36 PM

As long as I can get parts for my '76 Chevy pickup.

11
1
donm251May. 30, 0912:13 AM

I purchased a Ford product, not because of GM or Chrysler going bankrupt. Rather because I didn't want to pay the $150.00 MN Legacy tax penalty effective 7/1/2009. All the people that voted for that tax can pucker up and kiss both cheeks. :-)

15
4

Comment on this story   |  

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT