Dayton, union push for rail safety

  • Article by: David Shaffer , Star Tribune
  • Updated: February 7, 2014 - 11:37 AM

As rail workers picketed about safety concerns, the governor planned legislation and other steps after recent oil train disasters.

  • 21
  • Comments

  • Results per page:
dflleftFeb. 6, 14 9:28 PM

RATHER than this staged event, perhaps Dayton should check with the Pipefitters Union who have urged approval of the Keystone Pipeline...provide good paying jobs for middle class working people and also move less oil by rail.

30
11
Seawaves AheadFeb. 6, 1410:04 PM

The Governor & DFL Legislature should raise taxes on the railroads and use the money to hire inspectors to manage all aspects of safety.

14
30
railroadFeb. 6, 1410:07 PM

And when the Pipeline breaks due to cold weather or lack of maintance who suffers? The rail industry has cut employees to bare bones. One man is in charge of a massive train carrying all this oil... he gets sick.. OOPS.. train derails... cold weather breaks a rail, OOPS... train derails... Massive movement of oil thru communities is NOT GOOD

13
30
elmore1Feb. 7, 14 5:42 AM

Your headline says it all "Dayton-Union". Not to trivialize the concern, our Guv jumps every time the unions (11% of workers) ask him. I don't see him jumping for the other 89% of us when we would like to see moderate spending and taxation.

30
13
huggybear28Feb. 7, 14 5:52 AM

Seems like a federal issue rather than a state issue. These railroads pass through so many states that to regulate them state by state would be cumbersome. This is one area where the interstate commerce clause makes sense for the feds to make the rules instead of the state.

20
7
cg49423Feb. 7, 14 5:56 AM

I worked for Canadian Pacific, I no longer work there. They are substandard compared to BNSF and UP, more like a mom & pop shop instead of a big dog. Enough said.

10
9
huggybear28Feb. 7, 14 5:58 AM

@railroad, there is always a risk but minimizing that risk is important. One way or another this oil from ND and Canada is being transported. Right now by rail it is being transported directly through communities and high populated areas. At least the pipeline would be routed to avoid communities meaning that if there is a spill, the impact will be in low population areas instead of high populations areas. Also a pipeline does not have roadways crossings where everyday the risk of vehicle to rail collisions could cause an accident. Lastly for your concern of maintenance, the Alaskan pipeline has been up and running since the 70's. When was a last time you heard of a major spill? It is because the pipeline is maintained well. That pipeline goes through among the most harsh weather conditions (cold, earthquakes, etc) in the world.

21
10
nonewtaxesFeb. 7, 14 7:20 AM

More pandering to unions by Dayton.

21
12
plizzoFeb. 7, 14 7:47 AM

Yeah, because, like, there have never been train derailments before. Mark Dayton to the rescue! What kind of costume does a trust fund superhero wear, anyway?

19
11
palsarFeb. 7, 14 7:48 AM

I guess the union's campaign donation check cleared, Dayton's on board now.

19
9

Comment on this story   |  

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT