US oversight panel: Gov't should stop collecting phone records; program illegal, ineffective

  • Article by: STEPHEN BRAUN , Associated Press
  • Updated: January 23, 2014 - 4:20 PM

WASHINGTON — A government review panel warned Thursday that the National Security Agency's daily collection of Americans' phone records is illegal and recommended that President Barack Obama abandon the program and destroy the hundreds of millions of phone records it has already collected.

  • 5
  • Comments

  • Results per page:
  • 1 - 5 of 5
speakinfactsJan. 23, 14 3:09 PM

Team Obama will disagree and continue this ILLEGAL practice. Laws mean NOTHING to Obama.

1
5
palsarJan. 23, 14 3:10 PM

Amazing that the story makes sure to mention it was started by Bush but no where does it state that the Patriot Act was renewed by Obama. Bush and the country was dealing with 9/11, what's Obama's reason?

1
5
RankenFyleJan. 23, 14 3:16 PM

A good job by the oversight panel. The only dissenters are those whose legacies may be tarnished.

1
3
armybratJan. 23, 14 5:20 PM

6 out of 10 citizens want this spying stopped. Maybe the other 40% can tell us why they like having their government collecting their telephone and financial records. Does it make you feel safer to know you are being spied on? What other rights are you willing to give up?

1
2
offtherecordJan. 23, 14 6:02 PM

60% of citizens want the spying to stop. Maybe the other 40% can tell us how having their phone and financial records collected by obama makes them feel safer. Would the same people agree to warrant-less searches of their homes? Why not?

1
2
  • 1 - 5 of 5

Comment on this story   |  

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT