Norovirus suspected after 75 Totino Grace banquet-goers fall ill

  • Article by: JIM ADAMS AND PAUL LEVY , Star Tribune
  • Updated: December 12, 2013 - 8:08 PM

The Minnesota Department of Health is investigating a foodborne illness that sickened at least 75 people who ate at a banquet for Totino Grace football players Sunday in Brooklyn Park.

  • 10
  • Comments

  • Results per page:
  • 1 - 10 of 10
joyceraeDec. 12, 13 1:43 PM

It is important to wash your hands after visiting a rest room, however, you can touch utensils at a salad bar or other type of station and pick up the virus. I did, and I washed my hands before I ate.

8
0
joe_mnDec. 12, 13 1:47 PM

Do not eat food at buffet style events. Ugh.

3
4
TaxFreeTennDec. 12, 13 1:47 PM

I just ate there yesterday and it was fabulous. Great food, incredible staff, and no one got sick.

5
0
actualreaderDec. 12, 13 1:49 PM

Whether you're cooking for a couple hundred or debating whether to go to Christmas dinner with family and friends, PLEASE consider yourself excludable if you're sick. The ramifications of sickening a quarter to a third of these people because a worker (or her boss) wouldn't consider a sick day points out how much a little caution is worth. I've heard of holiday gatherings where infants and elderly ended up hospitalized because someone decided their family "had to" make an appearance with kids who were already vomiting. That's not the kind of sharing we need.

15
0
sek2undrstndDec. 12, 13 2:58 PM

Check the shellfish, salad, and spices that were used by the catering company.

0
0
From_55443Dec. 12, 13 5:02 PM

There is no acceptable excuse for a food-borne illness. Its very unlikely that 75 people were sick due to other people coming in sick, or touching food handling equipment - ie salad bar utensils. People got sick because Lancer failed to follow established procedures for maintaining the safety of the food. The single greatest responsibility of the Chef is to ensure no one ever gets sickened from a food borne illness, ever. There are multiple issues that could have contributed. And yes, I too have eaten at Edinburgh as I am a resident of B. Park. The food is good, the service is better. The kitchen and food handling practices are typical of an old location, with a tough financial contract between the City and Lancer. The City makes good money, and Lancer works for pennies on the dollar. More than likely, the illness is caused from time and temperature abuse. Items held outside of the danger zone (>38 degrees for cold or less than 145 degrees for hot food)for more than two hours at anytime between preparation and service. Professional food service organizations such as Lancer should be taking temperatures during the preparation, storage and serving period. They too should ensuring no food, during the preparation time, is allowed to be stored outside of mechanical heating or cooling methods for any length of time. It's unfortunate that the City of Brooklyn Park entered into a contract with Lancer and did not ensure the company was following or continues to follow established food service procedures for ensuring the food supply chain (from purchasing to receiving to preparation to storage to holding to serving) is not compromised. Just another bad piece of press for a City that is continuing to try to find its way in a competitive metro environment. I hope that the folks at Lancer will learn from this very unfortunate incident. For the residents of Brooklyn Park, we should demand that our City Manager hold Lancer accountable and inspect their expectations for cleanliness, sanitation, wholesomeness and adherence to HACCP (hazard assessment critical control points) guidelines.

2
2
keaton12Dec. 12, 13 5:12 PM

I became violently ill after eating at a restaurant. I called the next day to alert them and they were upset with me for calling and insisted it wasn't their food. How did they know? Did they do a micro test? It wasn't a hole in the wall place but an established restaurant. Next time, I will call the health department and skip the Manager on Duty. It was a salad with eggs and fish.

2
0
parksworkerDec. 12, 13 6:45 PM

Sounds like the parks director there needs to review the contract with the city. Or, at least visit the place for himself (as in due diligence).

0
0
Rick LarsenDec. 12, 13 7:09 PM

Pay attention during HACCP training, because it stands for Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points.

0
0
actualreaderDec. 12, 13 7:30 PM

(From_55443) I won't bother to requote all that. The fact is norovirus is VERY contagious and outbreaks in food service settings are often caused by one sick food preparer, which can be blamed on the restaurant but has nothing to do with "temperature abuse." According to the CDC, someone infected with norovirus releases billions of particles of the virus, which are easily transmitted via surfaces like handrails and handles; thus the closing and swabbing-down of every inch of cruise ships or schools when there's an outbreak. We need to get the message across to employees, students, visitors, WHOEVER to stay home instead of feeling they're so indispensable they need to go out in public and infect others.

0
0
  • 1 - 10 of 10

Comments are temporarily unavailable

Our reader comments feature is currently undergoing maintenance. Please check back to comment on this story and join the discussion. We apologize for any inconvenience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT