DNR ramps up enforcement this weekend, saying booze and boating don't mix

  • Article
  • Updated: June 29, 2013 - 4:35 PM

ST. PAUL, Minn. — With the Independence Day holiday approaching, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is ramping up enforcement this weekend against drunken boating.

  • 9
  • Comments

  • Results per page:
  • 1 - 9 of 9
gopher971Jun. 29, 1311:01 AM

Apparently the DNR has become jealous of other law enforcement agencies and their revenue generating activities under the guise of public safety. How much revenue will the DNR produce in the next 7 days? What is the citation quota for DNR officers?

12
11
freedumb86Jun. 29, 13 3:00 PM

Can you believe this? Now the DNR wants us to be sober while we are boating! I thought it was bad enough requiring all people fishing to have a permit. Now this! Pretty soon they are going to require kids to wear life jackets.

8
2
jd55604Jun. 29, 13 6:26 PM

I can only take this to mean that we have way too many DNR officers in MN. They either don't want to enforce game laws or their isn't enough fish and game infractions to keep them busy so they start seeking out a new class of criminal where they can make some additional money and headlines. I should be able to go fishing, drink a few beers and be left alone without the state making me feel like a criminal. I guess it's easy to see why fishing license sales are down 17% this year.

5
4
blatherskiteJun. 29, 13 9:01 PM

Jd55604...... It would be great if all the fishermen and boaters held it to few beers but they don't. There has been some real tragedies. A few always ruin it for the many. Deaths on the water cannot be deemed collateral damage for one's selfish freedoms. Not that there isn't beer in my boat cooler. However, I support the DNR's efforts and I am aware of my obligation to my passengers and fellow boaters.

7
2
ericgus55Jun. 30, 13 8:05 AM

Drinking in a boat is still legal, unlike in a car. A boat operator just cannot be over the same limit as a driver and must put down the drink while actually driving a (motorized) boat. The law is the same as it's been for years, they're just looking to actually enforce it at a higher rate. As a boat owner and one who likes to have a couple beers while fishing, it's no big deal.

1
1
george13Jun. 30, 13 8:07 AM

I guess there won't be having a beer with friends and family on the boat anymore. Welcome to the state of no fun.

3
0
tcatheartJun. 30, 13 3:32 PM

There is nothing wrong with going out with a friend for a night of crappie fishing with a beer or two. The problem is the people who spend an entire day on the lake in 85 degree heat, drinking all day, and then attempt to drive their boat after that.

0
1
tcatheartJun. 30, 13 3:41 PM

If alcohol was a factor in only 33% of fatalities last year, makes you wonder what they are doing to try and prevent the other 67%??? In all seriousness, if alcohol was a factor in EVERY death, then I could understand these patrols as having an influence. But until the DNR makes more of a concerted effort to stop ALL deaths, not just the ones related to alcohol, then people will continue to believe this is only about money...

2
0
jd55604Jun. 30, 13 4:21 PM

blatherskite: "It would be great if all the fishermen and boaters held it to few beers but they don't. There has been some real tragedies. A few always ruin it for the many. Deaths on the water cannot be deemed collateral damage for one's selfish freedoms...... It's sad to read that you equate freedom with selfishness. The DNR is supposed to be enforcing fish/game laws not peoples' blood/alcohol content. If they have all this extra time to be pursuing non-wildlife issues than perhaps we can save some money by re-allocating their resources to other state agencies. There is no alcohol crises on our lakes. This is nothing but a manufactured crises that gives the DNR additional powers and additional press coverage.

2
0
  • 1 - 9 of 9

Comment on this story   |  

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: Can the Wild rally to win its playoff series against Colorado?

Weekly Question

ADVERTISEMENT