Minn. Legislature: Committee examining 'epidemic of lockouts'

  • Article by: GRAYDON ROYCE , Star Tribune
  • Updated: January 24, 2013 - 11:03 AM

A House panel heard testimony on state's labor stalemates, with an eye to future legislation to discourage lockouts.

  • 25
  • Comments

  • Results per page:
thecynic5712Jan. 23, 13 7:51 PM

I fail to see how this is a matter for the legislature to deal with. If the musicians average $135,000 per year, they should just live with it. I don't know very many folks that make that kind of money.

24
23
freedubayJan. 23, 13 8:12 PM

Have the musicians of the SPCO have no shame? Might as well included the MN You have your dream jobs. Your season last 8 months. You're able to work on the side if you wish to pad your income. Granted you're being asked to take a hefty pay cut but you're still being well compensated. If you were making 135k all these years I would say that you receive plenty of support.

21
22
justaxnspendJan. 23, 13 8:22 PM

Yup....DFLers will always listen to their Union supporters complaining they don't have the upper hand.

23
20
paige7Jan. 23, 13 8:32 PM

I have a hard time believing that folks making $100k+ have a need for a union. Aren't unions meant to protect the downtrodden and those in dangerous work?

25
21
dflleftJan. 23, 13 8:34 PM

AMERICAN CRYSTAL SUGAR still locked out, but the Union turned down the contract 3 times....if our great DFL liberals go down this road then I guess they are going to go after anyone who offers a contract that gets voted down.....pretty sad for minnesota, iF I were MMM, i would move to Hudson.

22
20
thecynic5712Jan. 23, 13 8:45 PM

Okay, Please tell me why this is an issue the Legislature needs to deal with when they are trying to deal with issues that affect more than a bunch of folks making $135K per year.

15
20
dorkeemnJan. 23, 13 8:53 PM

Really a sad day if any legislation comes out of this - might as well turn off the lights and vacate the state, because no business will want to be in this state - right to work, unions can strike, but employers can't lock out... Good News - The DFL is bleeping things up so badly that the citizens will realize their mistake in 2014 and vote a republican majority and republican gov.

14
21
fenstratoJan. 23, 13 9:21 PM

I totally blame management for the Orchestral debacles. I gather from the comments above, most people have no idea what kind of work goes into the making of a world class orchestral musician. The 14 million $$ expansion of Orchestra Hall was planned by a management that has tin ears. It doesn't pass the smell test. Open up the books & negotiate. I get the feeling they would pull out the brass knuckles, given the chance.

24
12
elmore1Jan. 23, 13 9:32 PM

Uh, only 10% are union workers. Why don't you guys pay attention to the other 90% of us? Oh, I forgot, the state DFL are union puppets....

20
19
jsimple3Jan. 23, 1310:15 PM

Let's see...YOU, the worker, can strike, whenever you want. I, as the employer, might soon have legislation stopping me from saying we can live without you? Pretty much explains why I, and my fast growing small business, moved from MN six years ago. Inmates in charge of the asylum.

20
19

Comment on this story   |  

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT