Souhan: Lower NFL seeds can have high expectations

• Article by: JIM SOUHAN , Star Tribune
  • Updated: January 1, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Think the Vikings' chances of winning the Super Bowl are outrageous? Several fringe playoff teams have beaten the odds.

• 21
  • Comments

• Results per page:
Douglind33Jan. 1, 1310:19 PM

As Mr. Grant once said, "It's not who you play, it when you play them." In a game of turnovers and penalties, anyone can win. Can you just imagine the nightmares those GB DBs are having thinking about trying to tackle the #28 wrecking ball on a frozen field?

VikeupnorthJan. 1, 1310:28 PM

Our secondary better improve or there is no way we will win this next game. After Winfield went down last week, it wasn't looking very hopeful.

mandichJan. 2, 1312:13 AM

I'm already counting my winnings. Put $15.00 at 55 to 1 to win the NFC and $15.00 at 100 to 1 to win the SB. This was in Mexico before the season started, and now it seems almost possible.

rondakotaJan. 2, 13 8:48 AM

The Giants won the super bowl at 9-7 because they have a Manning for QB. Ponder is no Manning. YET anyway. SKOL! BTW it's nice to be able to read and post again. Strib is NOT getting any of my money!

lgaytanJan. 2, 13 9:04 AM

This reminds me of 1987 when we got knocked for supposedly backing into the playoffs. We knocked out the Saints who were the big favorites, then we knocked out the 49ers who were even bigger favorites,then we came so close to beating the Redskins to go to the Superbowl. If we can happen to beat the Packers this Sunday, we'll repay the Falcons the favor they paid us in 1998. We already beat the 49ers, and I have no doubt in my mind we'll beat the Redskins or Seahawks if we were to play them again!!! Superbowl appearance for us is by no means impossible if you look at the teams who are in the tournament!

AlohaMikeJan. 2, 13 9:22 AM

The Vikes may not be favored to win this Saturday night but history shows we have a decent chance. Unlike 20 other teams, we still have hope. And as Andy said in Shawshank..."Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." SKOL!!!

gopherfan51Jan. 2, 13 9:33 AM

Wow, whatever happens let's just enjoy the ride the Vikings are taking us on. Who would have ever guessed before the season that we would even have a chance to get into the playoffs. Skoal Vikings

zatawayJan. 2, 1311:37 AM

It's an exciting time to be a Vikes fan again. The team played tough physical ball all the way through December, and beat 4 tough opponents. We may not have quite enough skill on the outside to make a deep run this year, but I wouldn't want to play us either. Give Frazier credit, he's stuck to his old-school roots with great line play, running, and tough D. I don't see a win in Green Bay as unrealistic. Let's enjoy it, and know that we should be even better next season!

FLUXERFLIXER Jan. 2, 1311:37 AM

For many many years, if you entered the playoffs as a wildcard, you left a loser. As a fan, their was basically no hope of ever winning a Super Bowl, because the only team to ever achieve it was the 1980 Oakland Raiders. They were the only team to ever win a Super Bowl as a wildcard team. Now, for some reason, ever since the 2005 Steelers did it, it has almost been the norm! Hot teams in December, just sneaking into the playoffs, and taking that confidence all the way to a Super Bowl win! It's a nice thought, but as a long time Vikings fan (since 1969), I have been let down too many times to get excited. The fall is just too painful to go through. I want more than anything for Les Frazier, and his team, to change that omen that has haunted Vikings fans for over FOUR DECADES now. I don't count the earliest Viking teams, because they were an expansion team in 61', and it really all started with the 1968 season, and 1968 playoff loss at Baltimore when we lost to the Colts who went on to Super Bowl III. Please Mr Frazier, let's turn this thing around and start a new era of Viking Titles, and make it right with Viking fans who have suffered all of the heartbreaking losses since 1968. Getting close wont be good enough any longer, and like I said, I am not getting excited, because that sudden stop at the end is starting to take it's toll on my aging body. SKOL .

dolce77Jan. 2, 1312:23 PM

I can relate to FLUXERFLIXER. I have been around cheering for the Vikings the same amount of time. Guys like us don't want the Vikings in the Super Bowl again unless they can win it. We understand there is a whole new generation of Viking fans that have never experpienced seeing the purple and gold play in the big win. However, for us older fans, a super bowl loss is a "been there, done that" thing we do not care to experience again. Don't get me wrong. I would love to see them win out and make the big one and I beleive this team has as good a chance of any of the other remaining NFC teams. I just don't think I could take another Super Bowl loss and have resigned myself to the fact that it might not happen in my life time (in my 50's now). However, if they can do it. All the pain and suffering will be gone forever. Skol Vikings!!!!

Comment on this story   |

Anaheim 7:00 PM
Dallas
St. Louis 8:30 PM
Chicago
Houston 6:30 PM
Red Bull New York
Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

Date/Opponent Time W L Score
Dec 1 - vs. Chicago NoonX23-20
Dec 8 - at Baltimore NoonX29-26
Dec 15 - vs. Philadelphia NoonX48-30
Dec 22 - at Cincinnati NoonX42-14
Dec 29 - vs. Detroit NoonX14-13

question of the day

Poll: Which quarterback is best in the NFL draft?

Weekly Question