Reusse: Nostradamus even missed this Vikings' shocker

• Article by: PATRICK REUSSE , Star Tribune
  • Updated: December 31, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Not even history's top prognosticator could have foreseen the most surprising season ever.

• 33
  • Comments

• Results per page:
rudo1212Dec. 31, 1210:46 PM

Imagine AP on that '98 squad. He'd hit the 2,500 mark. Mr. Spielman, PLEASE find us a quality wideout (or two).

kennyrogersDec. 31, 1211:27 PM

I predicted we'd either win OR Adrian would get the record! We were playing at home and nearly beat Green Bay earlier, but the most shocking event wasn't Misle Toe kicking the winning field goal, it was Adrian getting so painfully close to breaking the record. We nearly saw history get made, and I'm sure many experts are saying that should have a little higher priority at the end than running down the clock to zero.

dewarfJan. 1, 1312:02 AM

Pat: You may recall there's a sports reporter (not a writer like you) at the Strib who predicted 8 or 9 wins for the Vikings this year. Just because you and the other sports writers didn't have that same insight and/or knowledge -- don't label this team a "surprise". Surprising to you Pat, is NOT that to intelligent sports fans (and one old sports reporter). Proving again which writer is the putz, and which reporter is the pro? Sorry Pat, your labels.

strib1991Jan. 1, 1312:23 AM

Win or lose next weekend, the Vikes have already won. Great season!

isphgolfJan. 1, 1312:27 AM

A positive article from Reusse? That's a first. Great New Year's resolution, Pat.

imperatorgJan. 1, 1312:31 AM

As great a game as it was, and as great as A.P. and the whole crew played, I'm not sure the Vikes would have won if it hadn't been for the Packers DB Williams mindbogglingly bone-headed penalty to set up the Vikes final TD. He should be voted a share of the Vikings playoff money. And why hasn't anybody been making note of that important turning point?

wisstinks4Jan. 1, 13 2:18 AM

Some people are just goofs on here. First of all, Patrick you must be wondering how has good fortune befallen Minnesota sports in 24 hrs, huge Vikings win Sunday a huge Gopher win Monday, oh and the Gopher pucks terms are #1 in the country again. I smile with our success. No one really cares about a green bush DB penalty, big deal. Ponders developmental growth is the positive. How about that play action bomb to Wright? That was a gut wrenching got cha play for a cheating defense, peaking inside, there goes the Viking WR right past you. The real deal is to see who has the stones to run the ball in the playoffs, I like our chances with purple Jesus and Toby G. Vikings could be full of more surprises, even a win in green bush.

comment229Jan. 1, 13 6:22 AM

Now Pat... settle down. From the fans perspective.... Whoever said "Win or lose next weekend, the Vikes have already won. Great season!" was absolutely correct no matter WHAT happens at Green Bay next weekend. I, and most of us were wrong a little over a month ago. I predicted they would not win another game. But before anyone gets absolutely giddy before next week, we have to come up with the Sheryls Solution. He is a decent kick returner, but, do I even have to say it? or do you know? I will guarantee you where Rogers will be looking on Saturday night. And I almost hyperventilated yesterday as the vikings, heaven forbid, ran another screen pass! Who would have ever thought that would be a good idea? Ok.. I'll quit now.

bruisedupJan. 1, 13 6:36 AM

dewarf, you are spot on but anyone who said the Vikings were going to win is automatically looked at as a homer who doesn't know anything. I am crazy about the Vikes but I do follow them as close as I can along with other teams in the NFL. I also follow the off-season moves with free agency and the draft as close as I can for the Vikes and other teams. I had the Vikes going 9-7 and when the Vikes were at 6-6 I posted that the Vikes would win their last 4 games and go on to win the Super Bowl. Now for every prediction I have made I have weighed things about not only the Vikings but other teams. I don't just focus on the talent on the Vikings team but I focus on other teams and the talent that's on other teams. It doesn't seem to matter because the only people's predictions that are supposed to make any sense are the ones that Patrick and his friends on the Trib and elsewhere believed. As I have mentioned before, this team was very underrated to begin with.

elmi0001Jan. 1, 13 7:18 AM

Nostra-common-us knew it all along m'boy!

Comment on this story   |

Chicago 3 FINAL(OT)
St. Louis 4
Minnesota 4 FINAL(OT)
Colorado 5
Los Angeles 3 FINAL
San Jose 6
Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

Date/Opponent Time W L Score
Dec 1 - vs. Chicago NoonX23-20
Dec 8 - at Baltimore NoonX29-26
Dec 15 - vs. Philadelphia NoonX48-30
Dec 22 - at Cincinnati NoonX42-14
Dec 29 - vs. Detroit NoonX14-13

question of the day

Poll: Will you boo Jared Allen when he returns with the Bears?

Weekly Question