MInneapolis: Instant-runoff voting rules to be adopted

  • Article by: STEVE BRANDT , Star Tribune
  • Updated: April 18, 2008 - 12:49 AM

But Minneapolis council members are at odds over what to do when a voter skips a ranking for a candidate.

  • 6
  • Comments

  • Results per page:
  • 1 - 6 of 6
kelhoundApr. 18, 08 9:35 AM

I'm happy to see that the will of 65% of Minneapolis voters may actually come to pass in 2009.

2
2
emansfieldApr. 18, 0811:38 AM

It'll never happen. The lawsuit against IRV is too strong. Just because the majority of voters wanted IRV doesn't mean they can take away the franchise rights of those who don't want it. WHAT franchise right; The MN Supreme Court concluded in 1915; "We do right in upholding the right of the citizens to cast a vote for the candidate of their choice UNIMPAIRED by second and additional choice votes cast by others" NOTICE the word "right" here.. the 65% don't have the "right" to take away this right from the other 35%.

5
2
kirkukiApr. 18, 0811:56 AM

Minneapolis might as well just scrap IRV on the basis that if it's too complicated for those putting it in place, then it must really be complicated and confusing for the average voter. This is a fiasco. Minneapolis might as well just save their time and money and go back to running elections the way they have historically been run - one man, one vote.

4
2
tomruenApr. 22, 0812:32 PM

I'm hopeful that Minneapolis may be able to join the growing list of cities and countries that allow more choice for voter, and still allow a majority determined winner from a single ballot. I've hand-counted many small IRV elections - it's simple and fast to count. Just pile the ballots by first choices, count ballots from each pile, determine the smallest pile, and redistribute those votes to their next choice, repeat until one pile has more ballots than all other choices combined (50%). The rules of marking ballots need clarity, and hopefully mis-marked ballots can be identified for correction. That's all!

0
1
HoneyDogMay. 2, 08 4:55 AM

Basically, IRV equates to some people actually casting two votes.

0
0
tomruenMay. 12, 08 6:58 PM

There's two votes in our existing system with a primary round. Everyone gets two votes, one per round. IRV just allows the votes to be done in one election.

0
0
  • 1 - 6 of 6

Comment on this story   |  

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT