You must be registered to comment and vote on comments.
the problem with food program is families have no asset limit, while seniors do. Most seniors get a paltry $16/month while a high school drop out living off friends gets $200/month. something is wrong with the Dept of Agriculture's policies.
People on food stamps (and low income people in general) have HIGHER rates of OBESITY than the general population. Are they starving? No.
Grizzly, if you're trying to make ends meet on food stamps, then you're going to buy what's cheapest and what's cheapest isn't necessarily what's good for you. If you only have $5 for a week, you'll buy the cheap (and unhealthy) macaroni and cheese in a box and forget about buying the fresh fruits and vegetables.
Besides which, the story was about people who were starving because they WEREN'T getting food stamps, not about obese people who were.
Well, I just read the article how boomers need to be encouraged to save for old age care because goernment will not be able to sustain health care for the elderly, how a PCA agency bilked the taxpayers of 650,000 dollars and now how we need to get more on food stamps. It is no wonder why taxpayers think government is screwed up!
Written by rodentraiser Jan. 12, 12 8:27 PM: "Grizzly, if you're trying to make ends meet on food stamps, then you're going to buy what's cheapest and what's cheapest isn't necessarily what's good for you." Ah, the liberal lie that never dies. Liberals have been blaming high obesity among welfare recipients on "inability to afford healthy food" for decades just like they've been blaming crime, even non-economic crimes like rape, on "poverty", even though crime has been falling nationwide as poverty and unemployment has increased the past 3 years. Which costs more: a bag of carrots or a box of Twinkies? An apple or a candy bar? Junk food costs MORE than healthy food and that's a fact. If there is one thing the liberal left hates, it's the truth. Obese people are obese for one reason only: they consume MORE calories than their bodies require. You can and will get fat eating healthy food if you eat too much.
Food Stamps is only one of the 15 food giveaway programs, here is the complete list:
1. Food Stamp Program (now called SNAP - It's a SNAP to get free food) (note, the territory of Guam is in the food stamp program, 23% of its citizens receive FSs BUT the citizens of Guam pay NO federal income taxes- they just get the freebies, compliments of the American taxpayers)
2. Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
3. WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program
4. National School Lunch Program
5. School Breakfast Program
6. Summer Food Service Program
7. Emergency Food Assistance Program
8. Child and Adult Care Food Program
9. Commodity Supplemental Food Program
10. Special Milk Program
11. Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
12. Nutrition Program for the Elderly
13. Commodity Distribution to Charitable Institutions and to Soup Kitchens and Food Banks
14. Nutrition Education and Training Program
15. Nutrition Assistance Program in Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands (note - in Puerto Rico 50% of the population is on the program, that's right - half the population! In addition 1,000,000 of them are on Medicaid. AND the citizens of Puerto Rico DO NOT pay federal income tax. It's all just a huge giveaway of American taxpayer dollars.)
Without food stamps, America would be showing trends towards mass groups of hungry like in Calcutta India.
We must do all we can to make this a food stamp nation, Obama is counting on it.
If the GOP has their way, we will all be on food stamps. Anything to help their corporate masters.
Your comment is being reviewed for inclusion on the site.
Comments will be reviewed before being published.
425 Portland Av. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55488
© 2014 StarTribune. All rights reserved.
StarTribune.com is powered by Limelight Networks