Getting there: Cannon Falls

  • Updated: April 29, 2011 - 7:11 AM

Cannon Falls, at the junction of the Big Cannon and Little Cannon Rivers, was settled in 1854. American Indians and traders hid their canoes here, away from the busier Mississippi. French traders called the hiding spot "Riviere aux Canots," meaning River of Canoes. Easterners mistook "canots" for "cannon."

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT