NFL loses in court but looks to fight on

• Article by: MARK CRAIG , Star Tribune
  • Updated: April 28, 2011 - 9:34 AM

U.S. Judge Susan Richard Nelson in St. Paul reaffirmed the lockout is over, but the league is still on hold as it moves to appeal.

• 28
  • Comments

• Results per page:
voicefreasonApr. 27, 11 1:47 PM

voicefreasonApr. 27, 11 1:49 PM

I will add that early round rookies make far too much money and should be put on a set pay scale. This will still be a barrel of cash for early rounders but ends all chances of holdouts.

mn527Apr. 27, 11 1:55 PM

"Denying a stay will enable NFL defendants to operate the business as usual and make extraordinary amounts of money" When the NFL refutes this statement they'll have to prove it by opening their books, just what the players have wanted all along. I thought Goodell was smart?

edutchboyApr. 27, 11 4:41 PM

Both sides can cry me a river. The Judge should make them go live in the REAL world.

allarson73Apr. 27, 11 5:04 PM

How can you anyone side with either group? The NFL owners benefit from the talent of the players. The players receive compensation. Can you fault a players for demanding more compensation? Can you fault an owner for demanding more return on their investment? I think both sides have really good points and are really greedy. Bottom line in all this is that ticket prices will continue to sky rocket. Someday soon NFL will become a pay per view event.

TomacltdApr. 27, 11 5:13 PM

The judge needs to let them duke it out. Truth be told, both sides stand to lose a significant amount of money and I honestly don't believe either side is dumb enough to believe they can survive without a season. The public is simply fed up with the drama queens. Let them ALL go find real jobs. Maybe then they might start to get it. I'd much rather watch paint dry than enable these overgrown, spoiled children.

EOlson8798Apr. 27, 11 8:11 PM

On the bright side, if this keeps up maybe the stadium argument will end...

vorenusApr. 27, 11 8:46 PM

I totally side with the owners on this. Players make about the right amount of money in my mind but don't deserve more simply because their boss makes more money. If I work at JC Penny and I know the owner makes a million dollars, I can't insist that I make more too. This is all on the players greed. posted by voicefreason>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The flaw in your theory is just about anyone can work at JC Penny. There are few that can actually play professional football at a level that maintains a fan base large enough to create different revenue streams. Owners make money off of that talent and it's within the players right to extract as large a share of that pie as they can. Just because YOU can't do it in your job, don't tell me for a second that you wouldn't do the same thing if you could.

MarinershckyApr. 27, 11 9:06 PM

voiceofreason. Your post shows a common misunderstanding about the lockout. The players are not asking for a raise. I repeat: The players are not asking for a raise. The main sticking points that brought this into the courts and out of the negotiating table was that the players wanted to see the owners books. Why? You may ask. The owners, who already receive 1 billion dollars off the top in revenues, have asked the players to give them a SECOND BILLION dollars in revenue. The players are skeptical of the owner's need for this money (they cite revenue problems) and want the owners to show them they are losing money before they'll agree to give them a significant sum of money.

iknowsportsApr. 27, 11 9:14 PM

I want to make an organization to represent the people/fans. We boycott games if professional sports players and owners get too greedy. I would call it PASSS "People Against Sports Structure and Salaries".

Comment on this story   |

Montreal 6:00 PM
Tampa Bay
Detroit 6:30 PM
Boston
Dallas 9:00 PM
Anaheim
Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

Date/Opponent Time W L Score
Dec 1 - vs. Chicago NoonX23-20
Dec 8 - at Baltimore NoonX29-26
Dec 15 - vs. Philadelphia NoonX48-30
Dec 22 - at Cincinnati NoonX42-14
Dec 29 - vs. Detroit NoonX14-13

question of the day

Poll: Will you boo Jared Allen when he returns with the Bears?

Weekly Question