Anoka County is facing more budget cuts

1 - 10 of 10 comments   Sort:

Page 1 of 1

THEYRE SHUTTING DOWN THE LINO LAKES MEDIUM SECURITY FACILITY, AND LAYING OFF MOST OF ITS STAFF (NO OFFER OF EARLY RETIREMENT BUYOUTS WERE MADE TO CORRECTIONS STAFF THAT COULDVE SAVED 5-7 JOBS). THE REASON THE FACILITY IS ALMOST "NEVER EVEN HALF FULL" IS BECAUSE HALF THE BUILDING ISNT USED DUE TO THE SHERBURNE CONTRACT. IF SHERBURNE COUNTY WASNT UNDERCUTTING THE COST OF A BED, THE FACILITY WOULD BE ALMOST FULL. BUT HEY WHY NOT CREATE MORE JOBS FOR ANOTHER COUNTY AND SACRIFICE YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES RIGHT? ITS NOT LIKE THERE ARENT ENOUGH PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTY WHO GET LOCKED UP... BUT THE FACT THAT THEY WANT TO USE THE LINO BUILDING FOR THE JUVENILES NOW IS A SUDDEN REVELATION. THE WHOLE SITUATION IS A MESS.

posted by Hockeyjock on Aug. 12, 09 at 12:07 AM |

IS THERE ANY WAY JERRY SOMA COULD TAKE A PAY CUT? THAT'S WHERE ALL THE MONEY IS GOING BUT ALWAYS GOT TO HIT THE ACTUAL WORKERS.

posted by rottench on Aug. 12, 09 at 3:25 AM |

If they weren't giving away free rent at the Airport in Blaine, there would be no shortfall. They are "deferring" the rent to Key Air. I believe the cost is $3 million. Stop spending so much money trying to figure out how to expand that airport and your budget problems are solved

posted by ski3632 on Aug. 12, 09 at 4:20 AM |

for your to turn your CAPS LOCK button off?

posted by nord117 on Aug. 12, 09 at 9:07 AM |

The Anoka County Board said that implementation of the transit tax would increase revenue to the county, lower property taxes and create jobs. How is this working out for Anoka County? Just curious. Second, the proposed savings from closing the Lino Lakes correctional facility may largely be a facade. The Human Services Department will save revenue but other county departments will have increased expenses and workload due to the shipping of inmates to Sherburne. From what I hear there could also be substantial medical costs Anoka County will have to still pay that are not included in the proposed "savings". Not to mention, Anoka County spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in computer system upgrades, massive employee training & revamping of procedures in the last few years in order to streamline inmate transfers between facilities within Anoka County. This is now largely thrown out the window with inmates going to another agency. Don't forget, Anoka County took on a failing private business as a new county department a few years ago and built a new facility for this department. Yes, the Medical Examiner's Office. Those were all costs not planned for. Must be nice to have politicians in your back pocket that can bail you out. So, how is that county board working out in Anoka County? I'm thinking it might be time for a change but Anoka County voters will have to figure that out for themselves.

posted by inreality on Aug. 12, 09 at 8:36 PM |

I'll step up and do my part... feel free Anoka County to NOT pave the path/ crumbling road in front of my house. I mean.. what right do I have to expect such things by simply paying MORE THAN MY FAIR SHARE of taxes year after year. I'm sure OBAMANATION needs it for his health care fiasco if Anoka County doesn't need it..

posted by ptac85 on Aug. 12, 09 at 9:28 PM |

My parents just turned 60. The only reason they are not currently working is that they are alcoholics. They are getting disability, social security, free health care, food stamps, and will soon be moved into low income senior citizen housing. I love my parents and I'm glad they are not living in my basement (although I would take them in), but why should the state pay for this? If we have so much money in the state coffers, um... O.K., but since we do not and are still paying for things such as this, why should we raise taxes? Maybe we should elect some officials who will sit down and trim the fat? Where? I don't have all the answers, but if I was in state government I would be looking and I vote for people who will look, not for people who just want more money thrown at the problem.

posted by jchilman12 on Aug. 13, 09 at 1:21 AM |

IS THERE ANY WAY FOR your TO USE CORRECT SPELLING?

posted by rottench on Aug. 13, 09 at 6:34 AM |

Yet the commissioners approved a $3.2 million expansion for their rec. department's water park. I guess all of those affected by Human Services cuts are supposed to, what, ride the great new lazy river on innertubes and in circles? Nice decision making.

posted by rshackleford on Aug. 13, 09 at 4:35 PM |

VonDelinde, and Anoka county will save a bundle in salary and possible future litigation costs.

posted by beeker1 on Aug. 16, 09 at 7:31 AM |
Page 1 of 1

Comment on this story   |   Be the first to comment

Be the first to comment

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters