Freshly squeezed: The ever-shrinking box and carton

1 - 10 of 76 comments   Sort:

Page 1 of 8
Go to page:
Next »

This basically hides huge price increases that would have taken place over the last year to help these companies keep their big profits. I'm expecting one day to go buy a big bag of chips and open it to find air and just 5 chips.

posted by chrysal on Dec. 1, 08 at 10:54 PM |

their packaging are dishonorable scum. If you need to raise the price, raise the price. But deceptively changing packaging makes one wonder how many pencil shavings from the accounting department have been slipped into the can of ground coffee. If only companies would put such effort into trying to fool the CEO by creatively downsizing executive compensation.

posted by pipress1487 on Dec. 1, 08 at 10:56 PM |

This shrinking is basically hiding huge cost increases in food and keeping healthy profits at these companies. I expect one day to open a jumbo bag of Doritos, only to hear a whoose of air and 5 chips.

posted by chrysal on Dec. 1, 08 at 10:57 PM |

posted by chrysal on Dec. 1, 08 at 10:57 PM |

I remember 5 years or more ago when sugar was repackaged in 4# bags instead of 5#. I'd rather buy sugar in smaller quantities but now I get it in 10# bags and store the extra in an air tight container. I do the same with breakfast food.... store the rest. Ice cream came in half gallons, recently some of them have lopped off 25%... do I notice, YES. Do I do anything about it, YES, I take these products off my shopping list. Found a nice ice cream maker at a bargain store and make my own... no additives. Use coupons, they are repaid by the companies trying to rip you off in the first place.

posted by smittyjs on Dec. 1, 08 at 11:21 PM |

It's almost as small as Cracker Jacks used to be when they were in large boxes.

posted by mscheirman on Dec. 1, 08 at 11:21 PM |

State and local governments have been doing it for years. One year your mil rate goes up, the next year your market value goes up. Ice cream gets more air, less cream. Companies ask less people to do more work (productivity increases). Why is anyone surprised? In business isn't it "always about the dollars", oh that's right, I just finished watching the movie "CASINO".

posted by lflor1130 on Dec. 1, 08 at 11:25 PM |

I ordered a medium sized pizza from Dominoes and was very annoyed at how small it was! Noticeably smaller, no sneaking under the radar there.

posted by marlulu on Dec. 1, 08 at 11:37 PM |

Because the folks who think corporations, ie profit makers, are evil (even though they employ us and therefore allow us to have money to purchase things), keep electing more and more politicians of like mind. They begin to tell companies who they will hire, how much they must pay them, what benefits they will give them and then they tax the companies on the profits they manage to make despite the handcuffing. Companies, all companies, are created to make money. So, the more the government demands, the more their products cost. Simple. Why are people shocked at higher and higher prices. Just look at what it costs to do business. Now.......we have a president who wants to tax the achievers even more. Hold on to your wallets....and wake up.

posted by jlmsp08 on Dec. 1, 08 at 11:48 PM |

Sue them when the supersize and sue them when they don't...

posted by corkulese on Dec. 1, 08 at 11:53 PM |
Page 1 of 8
Go to page:
Next »

Comment on this story   |   Be the first to comment

Be the first to comment

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

Golden Gavel by Star Tribune